Saturday, April 3, 2010

BFR #2 29MAR2010 Roads can be hot.

As there will be many entries, and bare foot running is all about efficiency through application of evolutionary design, the titles have evolved. BFR #2 = Bare foot run number 2, simple.

Bouyed by the success and joy of the first BF outing, with no negative side effects, I was off again. This time I was at work, and being a military base, largely devoid of natural surfaces. So it was a run along part of the perimeter road. As there is a strong OHS focus inthe military, I decided to take my VFF's in case of being challenged about the wisdom of running with no footwear. It would be easier to don said footwear and beat a hasty retreat.
At lunch time, as usual, I headed of to the change rooms to get into my running gear and head off. The day had a high overcast and seemed a comfortable 28 degrees celcius. I started easy the road felt comfortable underfoot. Then only about 500m into the run I felt a few hot spots. I checked my style to ensure I wasn't pushing off, and shortened my stride to almost a crawl. I soldiered on for another kilometer before discretion got the better of valour and I pulled over to the side and put on the VFF's. The rest of the run was uneventful but uncomfortable, the damage had been done. Back in the locker I inspected one watery blister on the end of my middle toe of my right foot and probed two tender spots on the forefoot pad of each foot between the big toe and the second toe.

Lesson: think about the surface and the running conditions, and until you understand what your feet are capable of err on the safe side to continue forward progress, both on the day and with the movement to barefootedness.

I will continue to carry the VFF's in case of changing or unknown conditions, or surprises along the trail.

Hey, I've just noticed I can add photo's and video simply.
Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment